Custom lists changes

Discuss general site topics

Custom lists changes

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm

I was wondering what the best way to keep the custom lists up to date (lists that others have created)? With new peaks being added, it would be nice to add these to the current custom lists.

I know I could probably send a message to the creator of the specific list, but is that the best way? In the case of the new RMNP peaks that have been added, there could be a couple of different lists that need to be updated (with a quick look, I saw 9 lists that these should be added to).

Maybe sending a message to the creator is the best, otherwise anyone could edit any list.

Thoughts?
mikeofferman

Re: Custom lists changes

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am

Hmm... Sounds like we might need a moderator privilege for users who are willing to oversee custom lists. That or you can post comments to the lists, and I can set up a notification sent to me and the custom list author to review the comments.

Which do you prefer? I think email notification on custom list comments should be set up either way...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I agree that something should be done to update these lists. In at least 1 instance, the list is missing peaks that are not even member-suggested peaks & after PM through this forum no corrections were made: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... php?lid=56
Brian Kalet

Postby Al Sandorff » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 pm

How about email notification and then unsharing the list after a while if blatant errors are not corrected?
Al Sandorff

Postby John Paul » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 am

Great point Mike Offerman! I think we can do a better job with the custom list. Personally I find them helpful especially when the creator takes the time to add notes. My vote is "yes" to adding both email notifications and adding moderator privileges to folks who would responsibly edit any of the lists. I think John can make the call on who gets designated moderator privileges. JP
Last edited by John Paul on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Paul

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:04 am

johnpaul wrote: I think John can make to call on who gets designated moderator privileges. JP

If anyone wants to volunteer for this, just post a reply in this thread. I'll get around to adding email notifications generated on comments sometime this week.

Separately, I think individual Wilderness Area custom lists and soon to be National Park custom lists (when I get around to finishing the project) should be removed as they are redundant:
Wilderness Lists
National Park Lists
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I kind of forgot about this until today. I wouldn't mind being a moderator, did anyone else volunteer?
mikeofferman

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 am

I didn't assign it to anyone, but I did implement email to all commenters and myself. I think this should work ok, since to some extent anyone can serve as a moderator by commenting (it notifies me and then I can take action if needed).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to General