LoJ on Smartphones

Discuss general site topics

LoJ on Smartphones

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

I've done some scripting to adapt display and content for smartphones based on the device agent. Makes things way easier to navigate and log peaks (no more zooming). I haven't done any testing beyond an iphone, which displays as shown below. If you have any issues, please let me know. You can always browse the regular site on your device by choosing the "Full Site" option from the home page.

IMG_0180.PNG

IMG_0181.PNG

IMG_0182.PNG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: LoJ on Smartphones

Postby mikeofferman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Great improvement John :rock: ! I will give it a try on an android and let you know what I find.
mikeofferman

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm

I tried out an Android emulator and noticed any styling (background color, border) applied to drop-down menus causes the arrows to disappear. I added a case to remove drop-down styles if the agent is android, thus a white/default background. This is what it looks like on the emulator:

Capture2.JPG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby mikeofferman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Works nicely on my android. I look forward to using it this weekend!
mikeofferman

Postby DSunwall » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 am

cool, just saw this, works well. I was afraid when I saw I-phone. It seems like many developers have a hard time making one app work with both Apple and droid, apparently someone has made progress in the this area.

edit: well I guess it is not an app, doh. :roll:

but I could come up with a list of cool things an app could do. It could work like POI's do on your GPS, all the peaks near you would show on a list, giving distance and direction. You might not want to deal with maps in an app. Yes you can do that with Backcountry Navigator etc. but.......... convenience and all the LOJ data for offline use might be nice.

and to the height of laziness :wiz: , it could automatically update your peaks climbed as soon as you got back into coverage. :wiz: although the GPS may not be accurate enough to tell if you made the true summit, just within 50' or less perhaps.
DSunwall

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Worked great this weekend. No more pinch-zooming! :)
RyanSchilling

Return to General