Horsefly Peak (10,347')

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Horsefly Peak (10,347')

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:50 am

Here's one more, this is Horsefly Peak (#186) a mountain whose access situation is rapidly deteriorating, per Aaron Ihinger. This picture of the highest point on the Uncompahgre Plateau was taken from the Buckhorn Lakes road near the Montrose County HP, Castle Rock.
Attachments
horsefly.jpg
RyanSchilling

Postby AaronIhinger » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:50 pm

Ryan, I'm taking Todd Holmes and our children back there tomorrow to try the Southern access we discussed. I'll let you know how it goes. Here are all of my former surmizations. I'll post some pics when I get them developed...

The Western flanks (along Dave Wood road) are all private, TLC ranch, etc. The East is the Flowers Ranch, the NorthEast is Cornerstone, formerly part of the Flowers Ranch. I don't know of any North/NorthWestern access, and a new subdivision has now gone in on the South side, which is approached from the 60X rd. West of Dallas Divide. There is a log head-gate at the entrance, marked with "private property" and "no trespassing" signs. There are some houses in there already, but there is a road with no houses whatsoever just beneath the summit, only driveway stub-offs and more head-gates. We built all of the head-gates at the log yard where I work (11 in total), and I could count six of them from the summit. The entire area beneath the pk. is yet undeveloped, and the gate is usually open. From the nearest stub-off, you could probably make the summit in 20-25 minutes, take some pics and then leave before confronting anyone. I hate to suggest illegalities, but it breaks my heart to see summits cut off from public access. Maybe I should suggest that you wait for development, and then knock door to door to request permission to cross the land of the wealthy, I don't know. It is a special place. It is teaming with wildlife, and it is the only vantage of the Sneffels range I have found where I can fit from Hayden to Corbett on my lens. It's just the right distance, and position...
AaronIhinger

Postby AaronIhinger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:54 pm

Alright, we made it from the SouthWest on 6/5/05... Here's the deal, if you turn up the 60X Rd, across from "Ski Dallas" just a few miles West of Dallas Divide. Drive North a couple miles, the road swings West for a mile, then North again. You'll pass one log head-gate on the right, and then turn right under the second one a half mile further. This is the San Juan Ranch (private) but I have never seen the gate locked. Drive 1.1 mi. East to Hull Ridge Rd. Turn Left (North) and drive three more miles up a winding ridge with incredible views, and presently two new houses (mansions really) to summit rd., take a right (East) for the remaining half mile to the top of the hill (Large rock cairn on the right, and a sign marked Alpine Meadows on the Left. From Here you can see the Horsefly just a dip and a hike away to the NorthEast. You'll only be a couple hundred feet below the summit looking across, but you must descend a subtle ridge approximately 500' before ascending approximately 700' to the South Summit. Follow game trails to the right while ascending to avoid further downs and ups on the Western sub-summit. Hike time is about 35- 45 minutes one way.
If you were to stay straight on the main road (like I did at first), you would come to a really swanky looking development called "Dancing Bear Ranch" with an electronic gate equipped with a "worm eye" camera, and a fine view of the South (Highest) summit, but no access...
Anyhow, I would follow these instructions at your nearest convenience if you wanna tag this cool little pk., or you might just find a house perched up there at the "Trhd. before too much longer...
AaronIhinger

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:01 am

Sadly Erin and I didn't have the same good luck as you did on your two visits, Aaron. After we passed all the houses, we had the misfortune of coming across a couple and their dog while they were on an afternoon walk. They expressed surprise when I told them that the gate wasn't locked, and they said that their neighbors wouldn't hesitate to call the cops, so we took their advice and left. Didn't have the time or the nerve to make a second attempt. So close..... :(
RyanSchilling

Postby AaronIhinger » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:30 pm

Ahh Man! Bummer!
I ran that scenario through my mind over and over on the drive up there... I figured I would tell somebody I was looking at property. I suppose that only happens by arrangement in such havens, but it might buy you time enough for the short hike. Maybe try a different vehicle next time, and sunset was a good hour of day for me :wink:
AaronIhinger

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:45 pm

I figured I would tell somebody I was looking at property.
We tried that excuse. Their immediate response? "Who's your realtor?" We sputtered after that, saying that we were just looking for her dad. I think we got some leniance b/c we mentioned that we had just been married the day before. All that said, we met them very near the "TH", so we knew that if they didn't see us drive by them on the way out, they would know we were up to something. Too bad... the peak looks like such a lark from there! We spent a little bit longer that afternoon trying to explore some other possible points of access, but we were probably covering the same ground that you did. We could find nothing but private property all around.

Your directions, Aaron, were spot on! We had no trouble finding our way. Those are some fantastic stands of aspen that you drive through! I didn't know that you could catch a view of Lizard Head so near to Ridgway (not to mention Lone Cone and the La Sals!). BTW, the couple mentioned that the lot at the summit (the site of the TH) is listed for $2.6 million!
RyanSchilling

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.