Cali Hipts

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Cali Hipts

Postby AaronIhinger » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks for the cool Site JK!
Hey, I'm from Sonoma co, Ca. and the highpoint is listed here as 4,800'+ (Unnamed area). There is nothing (to my knowledge) within a thousand feet of that elevation in the area. Mt. St. Helena (N. Summit) at 4,343' over on the Napa/Lake Co. Border, towers high over everything in Sonoma Co. I've climbed it on several occasions for it's view to the coast, and can't imagine what might be considered higher. Where does this info. come from, and how can it be researched further? Thanks!
P.S. Nice to be here!
AaronIhinger

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Aaron,

Thanks for joining! The info is mostly from a community of knowledge at cohp.org
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:42 am

Aaron: There is also a guidebook, "California County Summits," by Gary Suttle, that is an excellent resource. I know of at least one county(Kern), where the group on cohp.org have determined that the book may not be correct, so check the website for more current trip reports.

I got mine from Amazon.com several months ago. Layne

PS The book lists Sonoma's HP as 4480+, Cobb Mountain West Rim, but I haven't looked on cohp.org. That could be another case where cohp.org has updated the book.
Layne Bracy

Postby AaronIhinger » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks Layne, Cobb is definitely shorter than St. Helena, in fact they're neighbors, so the height comparison is easy. I must consider, however that I've been gone thirteen years, and maybe with re-survey, the elevations have been re-estimated. St. Helena was 4,343' when I lived there, a memorable #, but maybe that has all changed... I'll look up the book
AaronIhinger

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.