'White Mountain Southeast' WA state is in NE WA

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

'White Mountain Southeast' WA state is in NE WA

Postby GrantMyers » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Just thought I'd point out that the 5620' White Mtn. called White Mountain Southeast shold really be called White Mountain Northeast as it is in NE WA. It is very far north, just a couple of miles south of the Canadian border in fact.
When I was entering my 2000'P. summits a few weeks ago this thew me off for a bit until I realized that it was just mislabled. 8)
Here's the view from White w/ my peak bagging dog Luna.
Attachments
WhiteMtn.view.jpg
GrantMyers

Postby John Kirk » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Grant, I believe the reason it is called 'Southeast' is the highest point is southeast of the White Mountain marker on the 7.5 minute map, not because of the peak's geographic location in the state. This seems a bit extreme in my opinion since the printed name is close to the summit and the mountain should possess the name, So I'll change it to "White Mountain" for the time being.

I got the name info here:
http://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2959

When a duplicate name for a separate peak in the state exists, the convention here is to use alphabetical letter increments for each lower peak; i.e. if there are two named "White Mountain", the highest is 'White Mountain A', second highest is "White Mountain B". Once I put all Washington peaks up, I'll append the name with the appropriate letter (looks to be at least "White Mountain D" from a quick Topozone search).
Attachments
wm.jpg
wm.jpg (109.11 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.