The Contiguous US Prominence list has exploded!

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

The Contiguous US Prominence list has exploded!

Postby John Kirk » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:41 am

US 2,000' Prominence List This entire list of 1208 peaks with 2,000' of prominence has been recalculated using interpolation rather than 'clean prominence', and therefore is not a copy of any data. I will include topo links for the saddles in the near future, peaks have them now.

Coming Soon:
The Ultras Member Area will be converted to include this data set. Peak updates for CO Top 100, NM, Western Counties HPs, and Ultras will all be intergrated with this list to reduce redundant member updating entry. All the afore mentioned lists will be inherited into the US Prominence Stats for each member.

Hopefully this can get Ryan and Erin motivated to get around a bit while out east!
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: The Contiguous US Prominence list has exploded!

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:05 pm

Excellent, John! I look forward to the member section, which will get me to figure out my total. This list will also chip away at the small list of summits I've climbed which are not represented on LOJ.

John Kirk wrote:Hopefully this can get Ryan and Erin motivated to get around a bit while out east!

Every once in a while I look at Ryan's US county completion map, wondering if I'll see a few Pennsylvania counties filled in....
Layne Bracy

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm

John, is that a complete list of the 2K' peaks in the 48 states? I had figured PA would have at least one, but I've never looked before.

Yeah, we deserve a little ribbing. I've researched a lot of the surrounding PA counties' HPs and on the whole they're thoroughly uninteresting. It's somewhat the equivalent to driving to a CO plains HP. We drove right by the Westmoreland County HP on the way back from a hike a few weeks ago, but didn't have the time to make the stop. There are a few good county HPs in PA, but more toward Harrisburg or the Allegheny Mountains near New York.

That said, we do have some plans for the summer once Erin's finished with school. The PA, MD, and WV state HPs will fall first, I suspect, and we have some nascent plans to get to Mt. Washington and Katahdin in conjunction w/ Erin's 10-year HS reunion. IL's on the backburner; since it's only open a few times a year, it's tempting me, and OH would be easy to pick up during the return trip.

I think there's a typo on Mount Moriah's elevation (which should be 12,067'). Also, its prominence was recently updated to 4913' because of this image, which provides a hard elevation for the key saddle at Sacramento Pass.
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Moriah. I'm sure the list will be changing slightly as time moves on. The Members Area is just about done.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.