Puzzler?

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Puzzler?

Postby kurttraskos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:18 pm

OK, I was just reading Covill and Mitchler's Hiking Colorado's Summits. The author mentioned that Greenwood and Platte Counties were dissolved at some point, and many other original county boundaries have changed or have been redrawn over the years.

Alrighty, that said, did the above mentioned dissolved counties have highpoints not included in today's modern list, or are they just highpoints of the newer formed county? Does anyone know if some of the historical boundaries before some county lines changed to their current boundaries have affected the highpoint of any said county? Perhaps it may have been different (either a lower or higher) highpoint before the lines were redrawn, or didn't the highpoints change as a result of the reconfiguring of county lines, i.e. if a current county containing a 14er previously did not include that 14er or other highpoint, that county could likely have had a different highpoint that may not be on today's current county list. Originally there were 17 counties. Could it be that of those original counties, that some of the highpoints could have been different or as the counties evolved into the current number? So perhaps an historical county list could be different from todays, no?

I have the Rand McNally Commercial Atlas of America 1920 edition, and it doen't appear that the difference in county lines would have changed county highpoints, but it would be interesting to see if earlier county maps would. Anyway, just some thoughts.

I'm sure most people observe modern maps anyway, but I just wanted to bring up the topic for more of an historical perspective on the matter.
kurttraskos

Postby kurttraskos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:32 pm

Aha, check out these maps of the evolution of Colorado's counties. Kinda interesting:

http://www.stanwyck.com/cogenweb/cocounties.html

It would be cool to superimpose the current county highpoints over each of these maps.

Looks like Gilpin and Clear Creek are the only counties to remain unchanged from its original boundaries from the original 17 counties. There's a bit of trivia for ya!

P.S. - I wonder if any of this discussion on my part has to do with the new pair of black-rimmed glasses I purchased!? :disturbed:
kurttraskos

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:26 am

Very interesting resource. The progression is really informative. I guess Kansas was once not flatter than a pancake.

Looks like Elbert, Uncompahgre, Grays, Blanca, Lincoln, Pikes, Greenhorn, Longs, Buffalo, Hagues, and James would have been all the Mountainous HP's in the 1860's. Pretty decent representation.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Interesting, Kurt.

Also, Mitchler and Covill have looked into potential boundaries for a proposed Aurora County, to include land from Adams, Arapahoe, and Douglas counties. Their preliminary find is that the Aurora HP would be in the Douglas portion, while the current Adams and Arapahoe HP's would be taken into the new county. So, three new HP's would be created.

If it happens, we should do a group tour when it goes into effect!
Layne Bracy

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 am

Nice find, Kurt! Your timing is coincidental because we were just talking about an old map in another thread. Check out all the old mountain range names on that 1895 map!
RyanSchilling

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.