Mesa de Maya HP

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Mesa de Maya HP

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:18 am

It appears a new member, TWorth, visted the Mesa De Maya HP.
Ho do we contact him to find about access??
Mike Garratt

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:50 pm

I noticed that a while back myself. I'll shoot Tim an email and let you know.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TWorth » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Hey Mike,

Great having someone with your experience as a member of this website.

I visited Mesa De Maya while doing some county HPs in that area in December.

I approached from the south. Driving east on US160 from Trinidad, I passed CO 389 and made a right(south) on CR 147, then a left(east) on CR 10. As CR 10 curved north, and then east again, I continued north on CR 159.5(see Delorme). Passed a house on the left(looked unoccupied) and a cattle guard. CR 159.5 then forks, with each fork dead ending at a house. I drove back a bit and found a dirt road heading NW, just north of the cattle guard, in SW 1/4 of sec 4(see topo). Took this through a wire gate and got the truck up the jeep trail(sec 5) to about 6400ft. This appears to be private, but I saw no signs or any clue as to who might own the land. After leaving a note in the truck windshield indicating what I was up to, I hiked the rocky road onto the mesa at "The Narrows", turned left(west), passed through an iron gate, and walked up to the HP area. The NE contour is a pile of rocks and higher than the grassy SW contour.

After driving out, I continued east on US160. At CR 165.1 (see Delorme), there is a sign for the Mesa De Maya Ranch. It's a good guess they own the mesa and would be the people to talk to for official permission. No idea whether they would grant access or not, but the land was unposted from the south side, which makes me think whomever owns the HP area isn't overly concerned about folks going up there.

Hope this helps. -Tim W.
TWorth

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:23 pm

I visited Mesa de Maya this weekend while checking out rock art in the Comanche National Grasslands to the SE of Kim.

I followed the TWorth directions and left my truck with a note saying we were visiting the Mesa de Maya HP. We parked about 1/2 mile below the rim below The Narrows.
There were no tracks on the road since the last snow had melted.
When we returned there were fresh tracks. Someone had driven up the road on a motor dirt bike and turned around at our truck. No doubt to check us out but left no indication whether we were welcome or not.

Mike
Mike Garratt

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks, Mike, for checking out Mesa de Maya for us. Based on your observations, the peak has been pulled from the 1K' prominence list.
RyanSchilling

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.