The Volcanoes

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

The Volcanoes

Postby KentonB » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:23 pm

I was in Albuquerque this week and hiked the volcanoes in the Petroglyph National Monument park. Oddly, the coordinates here on LoJ all appear to be a bit too far to the west and sometimes a tiny bit too far north (generally ~230 feet total from the true high point for most of the summits). I verified this with my GPS, but you can even see the variance on the Topo Map (See Here). John, I'm sure you're enjoying your honeymoon at the moment, but if it's helpful (someday), I've listed the GPS coordinates of each summit's true high point as near as I could estimate:

J A Volcano: 35.1275N, 106.7729W
Black Volcano: 35.1325N, 106.7728W
Vulcan Volcano: 35.1415N, 106.7716W
Bond Volcano: 35.1583N, 106.7726W
Butte Volcano: 35.1651N, 106.7720W

Note that J A, Vulcan, and Bond are listed in the GNIS close to my coordinates.

Black is also listed, but it's name is given as "Cinder" (Might be worthy of an alternate name?). The true high point for Black/Cinder is neither the GNIS nor LoJ point, but lies between them and a little closer to the LoJ point.

Finally, since Butte Volcano isn't listed in the GNIS, should its name be put in quotes? (I guess that would go for the name "Black" too since GNIS has it as "Cinder"?)
KentonB

Re: The Volcanoes

Postby cftbq » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm

I noticed the same sort of discrepancy when I did these summits in 2010. I didn't think it was important enough to make any fuss about since 1) they're all unranked and rarely climbed, and 2) there's no way anyone could possible "miss" any of them.
BTW, interesting that you were there near my usual stomping grounds just when I was in CO doing 14ers!
"from mountains high, I gained strength for my soul" --Dave Cousins
cftbq

Re: The Volcanoes

Postby KentonB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm

It's that OCD side of me... Everything has to be in its place! :-)

And yes, my work lately has been taking me to Albuquerque... When it does, I always try and schedule a little climbing time. Good luck on Sherman tomorrow... I'll give you a salute from Pyramid!
KentonB

Return to US Mountains