ashes of dead mountain climbers

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

ashes of dead mountain climbers

Postby elkheart22 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:52 am

In my many travels to the peaks of Colorado, I have noticed a few summits where people have laid to rest mountaineers who have passed away. On top of Silverheels for instance, there is a really cool marker.

I myself would love to have my ashes scattered about above timberline, I think it is the ultimate tribute.

What do others think of this ritual?
elkheart22

Postby Layne Bracy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:19 am

I wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to, it's fine with me.

Jack Longacre had his ashes scattered over the 50 state highpoints, which is overdramatic for my taste, but to each his own.
Layne Bracy

Postby AaronIhinger » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Hmmm! I gotta go against plaques and markers, but I did turn a portion of my father loose on the summit of Cathedral Pk. in Co., and that was very meaningful for me. Even though he was not a climber, he did introduce me to the great outdoors (camping and such)... $.02
AaronIhinger

Postby cftbq » Sun May 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Not only because of my love of the mountains, but also after finding out how cumbersome and expensive burials are, :shock: I have firmly instructed my family members to have my body cremated and my ashes scattered somewhere above timberline--the higher and wilder the place, the better. (I'm looking forward to checking Silverheels off my to-do list and seeing that memorial.)
"from mountains high, I gained strength for my soul" --Dave Cousins
cftbq

Return to US Mountains