"Blacking Out" the Quads

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

"Blacking Out" the Quads

Postby Swithich » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 pm

So one of the reasons I was asking for an nearest "unclimbed by all" option is that I was looking at the state quad maps a few months ago and I noticed the fill color changed depending on the status of the quad: white for no peaks climbed in the quad, yellow for a partially complete quad, and green for a fully complete quad. The thought dawned on me that this is like a bingo board! And on a bingo board, you can blackout the board if you fill all squares.

The "blacking out" the map, or in this case, greening out the map, would work if only there were no pesky empty quads. Of course the pesky empty quads are colored with the understanding you (or the group) have completed no peaks in a quad with no peaks, where as an alternate way of considering the status of the quad is that you have completed all peaks in a quad with no peaks (coloring the quad green).

So I am proposing that such a change would take place that either the empty quads could be colored green or that upon completion of all quads with peaks (for a given user or group of users), the whole map turns a different color say red or light blue (I realize you still may want to click on a quad so a dark color or black is probably out).

So why am I proposing this? Well, I have noticed that there are very few group lists. That is lists where we actually work together to complete a list. This could be a cool way implementing a team list, since most of us will never have the time or money to climb every peak in a state (unless that state is Rhode Island, Mississippi, Florida, etc) this is a cool way to have a piece a massive project that is otherwise not achievable by most individuals. As a side benefit, on the side of the map might be a list of individuals with "first ascents" on each peak. You could click on a user or open a users list of first ascents for a given state. This would encourage people to go out and find first ascents to be included in a state and fulfill another purpose, of getting pictures, ascents, and trip reports for obscure peaks.

As a second benefit, the team list encourages people to explore otherwise less interesting peaks and areas, since usually a 6k peaks with <500 feet of prominence (for example) is rarely listed on any notorious list. One thing I really enjoy about New Mexico for example is seeing some area of Earth that is not seen by the ordinary human being that sticks to the interstates and (paved) state highways. Peaks encourage me to go do that by giving me a reason to visit and explore.

Anyway, just an interesting idea I came up with a few months back. For perspective you can check out the all members, quads of Colorado which is roughly 80 percent complete.

http://www.listsofjohn.com/Quads/quadsmap.php?s=CO&m=all

-Swithich

PS I realize that this might be construed as encouraging people to trespass on private land or tribal land (either could get you maimed or killed in some places). That is certainly not my intent, but I think there are certain people on the site who might have access to such areas (via employment, birthright,...etc) that could help us out with that. Or a quick phone call or letter might do the trick as well. Perhaps (like the NW corner of New Mexico, the monuments) that list might be unachievable (at least currently). Oh well. Might have to focus on another state.

PPS This idea could also apply to the state county maps.

PPPS I am aware that some peaks are in other states, but that the quad overlaps with the current state so this list is a superset of climbing all the peaks in that state. This doesn't bother me.
Swithich

Return to US Mountains