Class 2 or Class 3?

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Class 2 or Class 3?

Postby drdickie » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm

I climbed an unnamed peak in Taos County, NM today, 8757. Mostly it's what I would consider class 2, e.g. bushwhack with fallen trees some 2-3 foot rocks to step up on, a few steep spots. At the top, however, as the high point, I found a large rock maybe 10-12 feet high in front, a bit less in back. On the back side there was good footing and hand holds to pull myself up the first 3-4 feet and then about a 45 degree angle for the last few feet (and a nice perch to sit on and enjoy the view). I'm not experienced in classifying peaks, but I assume this last rock constitutes a class 3 move. Does that make the whole ascent class 3? Dick Oestreicher
drdickie

Re: Class 2 or Class 3?

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

It might depend on where you're from.

In CO, Class 3 generally means needing your hands to move with, not just using them for balance on the rock, and a peak has the rating of the hardest moves required on the easiest route to the top.

In CA, Class 3 means pretty much anything harder than walking across talus and small boulders and less than technical, and sometimes the rating will be given in a guidebook as Class 2 if all but a tiny Class 3 section of the route is Class 2. If a peak is Class 2 all the way to the summit but the summit is difficult, you might see a rating of "Class 2s3" or even "Class 2s5" to indicate only the summit move is hard. Alternatively, I've seen guide book descriptions saying a particular ridge to the summit is Class 2, and it is, but the only approach to reach that ridge involves a section of Class 3 that is totally ignored in the description.

In the Northeast, the popular routes to a number of the state highpoints (which is the only experience I have there) are named trails, which in CO would indicate you could expect them to be Class 1, but in the middle of the "trail," there will be a (CO) Class 3 section of rock, sometimes marked with paint to show the route through it, and then the trail will continue on above that spot.

I've sometimes been reluctant to add class ratings harder than Class 2 on LOJ because either I'm not at all sure I found the easiest line, or, I don't want to apply the CO standards I'm used to in someone else's domain.
TeresaGergen

Re: Class 2 or Class 3?

Postby Swithich » Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 am

If you feel it is class 3 then mark it as class 3. These things are usually formed by concensus. So if 5 or 10 other people climb it and think it is class 2 then John can change it later. I'd classify class 3 as having to use your hands to move. You shouldn't have much fear of falling (which I classify class 4 as). Honestly I don't really see a difference between class 1 and class 2 other than class 1 you didn't have to break a sweat and class 2 you did, but hey its all subjective anyway (and I'm a rock climber so the line is already blurred for me).

-Swithich
Swithich

Return to US Mountains