Ken Nolan Completes CO's 11ers

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Ken Nolan Completes CO's 11ers

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:51 pm

Ken completed all peaks 11k+ in CO on 11002 in Larimer County 7-19-10. Ken is the first to finish this list. Major Congrats!
:wiz: :wiz: :wiz:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Ken Nolan Completes CO's 11ers

Postby DSunwall » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:56 pm

He did tell me he thought the 12ers were the best, the 11ers he wasn't too enthused about, except for one in the Cimarron valley.
DSunwall

Postby lukePlumley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Congratulations Ken!
Way to finish in style. :shh:

lp
lukePlumley

Postby MikeRodenak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Congrats Ken! Quite impressive, and an extra congrats on being the first person to complete this! :rock:

Back to "the grid" I guess? :disturbed:
MikeRodenak

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Just think, when you get over the denial stage, you'll have someone who's completely willing to share the trailbreaking on 10ers. Yeah, that's ok. Take your time. Although, there is that "hot breath of a surging Gergen" business...

Congrats, Ken; this is really huge, and I'm thrilled for you.
TeresaGergen

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am

That's amazing, Ken! Congratulations.

How about a highlight beyond Chimney Rock? Was it nice to explore the Park Range more deeply, for example?
RyanSchilling

Postby DSunwall » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 am

It wasn't Chimney Rock, it was one of those Cimarron ridge peaks, don't remember which one exactly.
DSunwall

Postby Ken Nolan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks, all. Nice to have those pesky 11ers done before my decrepit body comes up with some new tricks to shut me down. I don’t know if this is actually unprecedented, but that’s what LOJ says for the moment.

Dwight – Yes, I enjoyed the 12ers more than the other groups. The Cimarron River area certainly has some nifty peaks at all elevations.

Luke – Indeed, the 11ers do require a variety of “styles”.

Mike – I’m an alpine animal at heart, so, yes, I’m counting on the 14er Grid and the soft-ranked and named-unranked 13ers/12ers to keep me above the trees. It took a major effort from the Dark Side to drag me up the forested 11ers.

Teresa – I’d like to be able to say I’m in permanent denial, but, alas, I know myself too well. We shall see.

Ryan – Yes, I very much enjoyed spending more time in the Ethel/Zirkel area. The 11ers also introduced me to Grand Mesa and I got to know the West Elks, Lost Creek Wilderness, and Flat Tops much better.
Ken Nolan

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Congratulations Ken!!
Carrie and I are always amazed elmo by people like you and Teresa. Where do you get the time (and the money) to support such an all-consuming habit? (Do you have a rich benefactor? How do we get on their list?) :shh: Your efforts make us look like a couple of lazy old farts, but then again, we've tried to have a life other than just peakbagging. One of these years, we'll finally finish the 13ers and hope to avoid any other "lists" but if you are any indication, we're probably hopelessly caught in the peakbagging net and we'll never find our way out!
Again, we're impressed by your dedication! :rock:
Tim & Carrie Cooney
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Postby TeresaGergen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 pm

ClimbingCooneys wrote:but then again, we've tried to have a life other than just peakbagging.

Ahhhh, the "balance" thing. I solved that a few years ago. I climb in the rain, too. :-D
TeresaGergen

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:41 am

TeresaGergen wrote:
ClimbingCooneys wrote:but then again, we've tried to have a life other than just peakbagging.

Ahhhh, the "balance" thing. I solved that a few years ago. I climb in the rain, too. :-D

I know a thing or two about balance - I occasionally climb 9ers and 8ers :toothless:
MikeRodenak

Postby Ken Nolan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 am

Tim & Carrie – To restate Teresa and Mike … A life other than peakbagging? Ah, so that’s your problem.

A sugar daddy? Well, I’ve often thought that the mountain gods keep me on the payroll to ensure they’ll have someone to abuse.
Ken Nolan

Return to Colorado Peaks